Remote Learning for Secondary Pupils Spring 2021:
For more information on how Remote Learning works at Washwood Heath Academy, watch the video below. Scroll down a little further for links to lots of useful sites online and the relevant documents from school, including remote learning timetables:
How to support home learning
As we all find our way through this difficult and unprecedented time, we are aware that parents and carers at home may be anxious about how best to support their children while the school is in enforced closure.
On this page, we will seek to give you advice and resources to help you to manage your child/ren’s time at home productively, whilst also being realistic about what we can all hope to achieve during this time.
Remember – the school, and its staff, are here to support you. We have done our best to send children away with booklets and resources in the first instance to keep them going straight away.
During the school closure we will be supporting your child with their learning by setting work on our online platform ‘Show My Homework.’ Secondary pupils are already used to using this as it is our usual way of communicating homework. Pupils in the Secondary phase use their school email addresses and password to log into Show My Homework (they click the ‘log in with Office 365’ button).
Parents of Primary and Secondary pupils are able to see all work set using a separate parent code. Log in letters with details for all parents and pupils have been sent home. You can log in using the website or the free app.
If you have any issues with logging into Show My Homework please see the guidance posted below (number 2). If you are still having problems please email email@example.com giving the pupils name and form /class and someone will get back to you.
CBBC schedule for Primary lessons:
BBC2 schedule for Secondary lessons:
More useful resources:
- Click here for guidance for parents on how to log in to ‘Show My Homework’
Please follow this link to https://parentinfo.org/ for some excellent and up to date advice on a wide range of topics.
- Do you as a parent or carer feel anxious and need somebody to talk to about how best to support your child? Click here for information about an Educational Psychologist telephone helpline for parents and carers.
- Please remember to visit our Library, Literacy and Oracy page for advice and tips on how to keep your child/ren reading while the school is closed.
- Visit the Oak National Academy online library!
- Read this newsletter from the Birmingham Education Partnership about supporting reading at home.
- The first edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica is available from The National Library of Scotland: https://digital.nls.uk/encyclopaedia-britannica/archive/144133900
- Some simple ideas for maths home learning: http://www.iseemaths.com/home-lessons/
- Some great stories for learning: https://explore-more.org
- Click here for ten of the world’s best virtual museum and art gallery tours! This is another link for 75 virtual museaum and gallery tours!
- Click here for Government guidance on free online education resources.
- BBC Bitesize have released a daily lessons resource that will help structure learning at home.
- The government website for developing specific PE skills is availale here: https://theskillstoolkit.campaign.gov.uk/
- Follow this link to Urdu Pod to learn new Urdu words and phrases every day: https://www.urdupod101.com/
- Follow this link for support and guidance on parenting through the COVID-19 lockdown: https://www.covid19parenting.com/englishtips
- Click here to register for a FREE weekly ‘chill and chat’ webinar hosted by Gro -Organics to support parents.
- Click here to register for a FREE webinar to support parents provided by Forward Thinking Birmingham.
- Click here to read to how Oak Academy online lessons may soon become free to access.